Greetings Fellow Family History Sleuths,
Wow, I can tell Summer is over because everything's already ramped up into high gear! I'm doing lots of travel over the next couple of months, so hope to see you in NJ, NY, MI, KY, IA or at sea! In the meantime, please enjoy the random genealogical news I've assembled here.
Genealogy Round Up, August 19
More Photos from my Annie Moore Day in Cork
More Photos from my Annie Moore Day in Cork - Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak's posterous
Walking in Annie Moore's Footsteps in Cork
Walking in Annie Moore's Footsteps in Cork - Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak's posterous
Megan Smolenyak: Following the Trail of the Oldest Living Irishwoman
Roots Television: New Genealogy Video: Using Google News in Genealogy Research
Eat your oats! "Woman says Quaker Oats led to longevity
Woman says Quaker Oats led to longevity
Thanks, Roger! Hope lots of folks join me in MI Nov 5-6! "Congratulations Megan – NGS Award of Merit
Hundreds Re-Enact Iconic Times Square Kiss To Mark 65th Anniversary Of End Of World War II
Time to rev up the #genealogy software! "Baby Boomers: 4 Sisters, 4 Births, 4 Days
Happy News - Baby Boomers: 4 Sisters, 4 Births, 4 Days
Military looks for WWII dead in South Pacific
David Wolper, Roots Producer, 1928-2010 - TIME.com
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, September 2
Q&A: Illumina's CIO Scott Kahn on the Promise and Challenges of Mobile Apps for Personal Genomics
Tracing the Tribe: FamilyTreeDNA - Alleged Jewish ancestry of Hitler highly questionable
Speaking in RI on 10/23 w/ Maureen Taylor & Marian Pierre-Louis!
Providence Public Library: Calendar
Live in Southern NJ? Pls come join me at Haddonfield Public Library on 9/30 at 7:00 pm
Author Visits : Haddonfield Public Library. Newly revised, this website provides research tools, bes
Roots Television | Og Blog: New Genealogy Videos: Genealogy Stories are for Sharing
We miss you, Beth
In death, a promise for the future - latimes.com
No Pensions for Ex-Slaves
Hmm . . . is this the first of many new #genealogy shows?
Sneek Peak of New Disney Channel Series “My Family Tree” | DisZine
Baby makes family history as sixth living generation
Pls come join me 11/5-6!
Michelle Obama’s Roots Researcher Megan Smolenyak2 Comes to West Michigan
India Remembers Mother Teresa on Birth Centenary
I think we've all been there!
Stalled birth certificate gets push
Check this out (free download)!
U.S. Presidents with Irish Roots | Irish Fireside
Megan Smolenyak: Roots Travel in Ireland
3 Years After a Windfall, an Unexpected Reality for the Genealogical Society - NYTimes.com
Genealogy interview I did with Allure:
Insiders' Guide: How 2 Research Your Family Tree: How-Tos: allure.com
Oldest U.S. Farm to Be Sold - But Not Developed
The Genetic Genealogist | Sequencing the Genome of Sitting Bull and Other Famous People
Hmmm . . . seem to be in serious Irish mode lately.
I'm popular! Well, my name is -- even if it's not really Irish:
Most popular Irish baby names in America
A Visit to Barack Obama’s Ancestral Town | Irish Fireside
Willing relative fair game, but napkin not cool (though apparently legal).
Hitler 'descended from Jews & Africans he hated' claim after DNA tests
Playing king and queen at @Turin Castle Mayo ! Thanks, Brendan and Marnie!
Maureen O’Hara: 90 Years Old and Going Strong!
Maureen O’Hara’s 90th birthday bash a Hollywood blowout | Irish Entertainment Around the World | Ir
You loved it last year & it's back! Pasty Irish Farmers Calendar 2011!
Irish Farmers Calendar 2011 | IrishCentral
Hunchback Who May Have Inspired Victor Hugo's Quasimodo Discovered in British Archive
WDYTYA is part of the reason:
Friday night TV aims to shake off lame duck status | Reuters
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, September 9
German woman gets to thank Portland woman in person for post-WWII CARE packages
Fierce call for open adoption records triggered by WDYTYA
Horse and human pedigree compared - Humboldt Beacon
One of my favs:
Genealogy Roots Blog: Online Death Records, Indexes and Obituaries - Latest Additions and Updates
Scottish research gets a little easier
Brightsolid revamps ScotlandsPeople genealogy website
Seems everyone is getting into genealogy these days
Lands' End Heritage Collection Tells Story, Now It's Your Turn
Thanks for the WDYTYA book shout-out, Poughkeepsie!
Fall a great time to connect with your roots
Now Available: National Archives, Kansas City Opens 300k+ Alien Case Files
Back to top^
Honoring Our Ancestors Grants
Congrats to our recent grant recipient! Don't forget that you can apply here.
Eileen Curley has been conducting genealogical research for over 10 years. She recently began scanning and preserving boxes of notes compiled by her great-grandfather, James E. Conlon, in the early 1900s. He was a clock maker and antiques dealer in Boston and collected a great deal of historical research on various clockmakers in the 1700s and 1800s, including photographs, handwritten notes and drawings. The grant award will help fund archival quality materials to preserve the originals. Eileen's hope is to be able to donate the original research documents to a local library or the New England Historic Genealogical Society where others may benefit from her great-grandfather's research. Antiques Roadshow should thank her!
We were thrilled to hear from the September 2009 grant recipient recently. Here is the original grant details, plus the update below.
Kelly Bickle and his wife are third generation owners of The Burns Studio in Boise, ID. The studio was built in 1919, and there are more than 100,000 negatives of people in Idaho. They are currently working to catalog and put the pictures online so people can search for their family portraits. The grant award will help fund the purchase of EmbARK Cataloguer for use with this project.
Update from Kelly Bickle: I ended up not using the grant to buy EmbARK but instead used it to help create a database and a web site, Boise by Burns. Thank you again for the grant.
Back to top^
If you plan to be near any of the events where I'll be speaking, I would love to meet you. It's always a kick for me when folks mention that they read this newsletter, my blog, Huffington Post or whatever, so don't be shy about introducing yourself!
For more information on these events, please see my Events Calendar. And if you're interested in scheduling me, just click here.
- September 18-25, 2010 - 6th Annual Genealogy Conference and Cruise, hosted by Wholly Genes, Inc. - "Neglected History" and "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI"
- September 30, 2010 - Haddonfield, NJ - Haddonfield Public Library - "Remembering Our Ancestors"
- October 5, 2010 - New York, NY - The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society - "Trace Your Roots with DNA"
- October 15, 2010 - Louisville, KY - Kentucky Center for African American Heritage - "Michelle Obama's Roots"
- October 16, 2010 - Louisville, KY - Louisville Genealogical Society - "Trace Your Roots With DNA," "Beyond Y-DNA: Your Genetic Genealogy Options," "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones" and "Find that Obituary: Online Newspaper Resources"
- October 23, 2010 - Providence, RI - Providence Public Library - "Cases that Made My Brain Hurt"
- October 26, 2010 - Waterloo, IA (delivered live via Skype) - Waterloo Public Library - "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones" and "Find That Obituary! Online Newspaper Research"
- November 6, 2010 - Grand Rapids, MI - Western Michigan Genealogical Society - "Michelle Obama's Roots," "Reverse Genealogy," "Tracing Your Roots with DNA," "Right Annie, Wrong Annie" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- February 12, 2011 - Largo, FL - Pinellas Genealogy Society - "Trace Your Roots with DNA," "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Find The Obituary! Online Newspaper Research" and "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI"
- March 16, 2011 - New York, NY - 92YTribeca - "Who Do You Think You Are?" Book Signing
- April 9, 2011 - Lakeland, FL - Imperial Polk Genealogical Society - "Reverse Genealogy Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Neglected History," "Trace Your Roots with DNA" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- April 28-May 1, 2011 - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Saskatchewan Genealogical Society - "Reverse Genealogy Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Neglected History," "Beyond Y-DNA: Your Genetic Genealogy Options" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- October 22-27, 2011 - "Exploring Your Roots" Bermuda Cruise, Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - "Who Do You Think You Are?: Behind the Scene on TV Shows," "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI" and "Remembering Our Ancestors"
Back to top^