Honoring Our Ancestors Newsletter
May 15, 2010
By Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
Greetings Fellow Family History Sleuths,
Well, the past month has been a whirlwind. I've been to -- let's see . . . CA, NY (twice), DC, FL, UT and NV. I even got to speak in my backyard in NJ. Next up -- Spartanburg, SC (home of Michelle Obama's Shields roots). Thanks for all the kind comments about the Who Do You Think You Are? series and my companion book. I bet you're all as happy as I am that the show has been renewed! Good days for genealogists, eh?!
In this newsletter. . .
Genealogical Round Up, April 1
Capture a piece of posterity! Your Family Belongs in a Museum: Belgian Red Star Line Seeks Emigrant Sagas
Megan Smolenyak: Your Family Belongs in a Museum: Belgian Red Star Line Seeks Emigrant Sagas
View the results of the poll for Matthew Broderick's episode of #WDYTYA.
Had a blast w/Jim Colucci & Frank DeCaro! Got my own theme song! Thanks, y'all
Video interviews with the divas of genealogy on @rootstelevision
Roots Television | Og Blog: Genealogy Videos: Divas of Genealogy
What an amazing family tradition to pass down!
Generation B - Father and Daughter Bond by Years of Reading - NYTimes.com
Thanks, Tim! Fun to chat with a fellow Rusyn! OnMilwaukee.com: NBC turns genealogy into TV drama
Shout out to Darlene for mentioning Roots Television!
My Colored Roots: Ohio Birth and Death Certs in Today's Headlines
Return to Top
Genealogical Round Up, April 8
My latest on HuffPo: You Asked for It, Ricky Gervais! What is it about French-Canadian heritage that spawns take-charge women .. . and Ricky Gervais?
Megan Smolenyak: You Asked for It, Ricky Gervais!
"Getting The Most out of a Genealogy Conference" Webinar Available Online
Congrats to Jim Killeen & @snehalmp ! Loved this film! "Google Me" goes to Oprah
8 new episodes of "Who do You Think You Are?"
NBC renews three shows - USATODAY.com
Roots Pursuit: Discovering Your Family Tree, by Megan Smolenyak | wowOwow
If he didn't look so young, I'd say this fellow is stuck in the 1970s. Does he really think folks do genealogy for royal roots??
Every family has a story — but don't tell me | Sathnam Sanghera - Times Online
Roots Television | Og Blog: New Genealogy Videos: Indian and Freedmen, and Getting the Most Out of Genealogy Conferences
Return to Top
Genealogical Round Up, April 22
Lisa Kudrow and Ellen Talk Family on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show'
Lisa Kudrow and Ellen Talk Family on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' (VIDEO) - Inside TV
OK, GW, cough it up! "First president owes library $4,577 and two books"
First president owes library $4,577 and two books
Yes! Our libraries & archives need this! "Hatch wants to create grants to preserve records for genealogists"
Hatch wants to create grants to preserve records for genealogists | Deseret News
Susan Sarandon speaks of her missing grandmother, Anita:
Susan Sarandon: "I don't feel that confident right now" | HollywoodNews.com
Very grateful for all the reviews on my "Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History" companion book on Amazon.com!
Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History
Thanks, Randy! Genea-Musings: New Roots Television Videos
here's an interesting article on the power of DNA, and some nature vs. nurture considerations to ponder...
Switched at Birth
Thanks so much, Jay! Was great to see you in FL! Four Generations Genealogy: Nova, Smolenyak and WDYTYA
Four Generations Genealogy: Nova, Smolenyak and WDYTYA
Return to Top
If you plan to be near any of the events where I'll be speaking, I would love to meet you. It's always a kick for me when folks mention that they read this newsletter, my blog, Ancestry Daily News or whatever, so don't be shy about introducing yourself!
For more information on these events, please see my Events Calendar. And if you're interested in scheduling me, just click here.
- June 11-13, 2010 - Burbank, CA - 41st Annual Southern California Genealogy Jamboree - "The Search for Michelle Obama's Roots," "Cases that Made My Brain Hurt," "Neglected History" and "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI"
- July 8, 2010 - Toms River, NJ - Ocean County Library - "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- September 18-25, 2010 - 6th Annual Genealogy Conference and Cruise, hosted by Wholly Genes, Inc. - Voyage through the Caribbean while we learn about genealogical research methods, tools, and technologies
- October 5, 2010 - New York, NY - The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society - "Trace Your Roots with DNA"
- October 16, 2010 - Louisville, KY - Louisville Genealogical Society - "Trace Your Roots With DNA," "Beyond Y-DNA: Your Genetic Genealogy Options," "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones" and "Find that Obituary: Online Newspaper Resources"
- November 6, 2010 - Grand Rapids, MI - Western Michigan Genealogical Society - Topics TBD
- February 12, 2011 - Largo, FL - Pinellas Genealogy Society - "Trace Your Roots with DNA," "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Find The Obiatuary! Online Newspaper Research" and "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI"
- April 28-May 1, 2011 - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Saskatchewan Genealogical Society - "Remembering Our Ancestors," "Trace Your Roots with DNA," "Beyond Y-DNA: Your Genetic Genealogy Options" and "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones"
Return to Top
Please forward this newsletter to your family and friends who are interested in genealogy -- thank you!
Wishing you an abundance of genealogical serendipity!
Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
Note: You are receiving this because you have demonstrated an interest (e.g., you have a story in one of my books, applied for a grant, attended previous events, etc.) or subscribed via my website, but please let me know if you do not want to receive any further emails, and I will promptly remove you from my list. And rest assured, this is my personal list and not shared with anyone else! Thanks, Megan
Return to Top