Greetings Fellow Family History Sleuths,
I'm on the road so will keep this short. I'm thrilled that my new book (and first book trailer video!) has just been released and would greatly appreciate it if you would check it out -- and if you like what you see, tell your friends. All the info you need is below. And by the way, though the write-up from the back cover describes me as the "Indiana Jones of genealogy," I regard myself more as Forrest Gump. If you come to one of my events – will be at the Barnes & Nobles in Bethesda, MD on 2/15 and McLean, VA on 2/16 – ask me why!
Until next month, enjoy all the new episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? and happy sleuthing!
Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing
Purchase through Amazon
You've heard of the Dog Whisperer?
Meet the Ancestor Rescuer.
Part forensic scientist, part master sleuth, Megan Smolenyak2 has solved some of America's oldest and most fascinating genealogical mysteries. You've read the headlines, now get the inside story as the "Indiana Jones of genealogy" reveals how she cracked her news-making cases, became the face of this increasingly popular field-and redefined history along the way.
How did Smolenyak2 discover Barack Obama's Irish ancestry and his relation to Brad Pitt? Or the journey of Michelle Obama's family from slavery to the White House? Or the startling links between outspoken politicians Al Sharpton and Strom Thurmond? And why is Smolenyak2's name squared? Test your own skills as she reveals her exciting secrets.
Whether she's scouring websites to uncover the surprising connections between famous figures or using cutting-edge DNA tests to locate family members of fallen soldiers dating back to the Civil War, Smolenyak2's historical sleuthing is as provocative, richly layered, and exciting as America itself.
Click to watch the book trailer for Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing:
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, February 9
Love this review of Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing. She sure has my number!
Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing, Megan Smolenyak
Part 3 in series:
Michelle Obama's Ancestors: The Great Mixing
'Who Do You Think You Are?' EP Lisa Kudrow Reveals Her Dream Stars for the Series
7 states lag on death reporting
Nation's system for electronic tracking of deaths has gaps, experts testify -- Federal Computer Week
Vote for the best idea! (more than 250 comments so far!)
Unexpected Ways To Find Your Ancestors
Calling all genealogists. This is important!
Please sign this petition to help protect the SSDI
As a Smolenyak who married another Smolenyak, I'm probably not allowed to make jokes, eh?
Iceland Is So Inbred It Needs a Website to Avoid Incest
Part 4 in series:
Michelle Obama's Ancestors: LaVaughn Johnson
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, February 2
Hey Everyone, I'm really excited to share my new website, www.megansmolenyak.com, and this video book trailer (my first!) about my new book, "Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing." I'd love to hear your reactions, and if you like what you see, I'd be very grateful if you'd share this with your genealogical friends! Thanks so much!
Phew! Kirkus Reviews, which proudly declares itself to be "The World's Toughest Book Critics," likes my new book!
HEY, AMERICA, YOUR ROOTS ARE SHOWING
"In this breezy narrative, Smolenyak allows us to look over the shoulder of a relentless genealogist as she works the puzzle pieces of her craft. Whether unearthing evidence from Internet databases, newspaper offices, court houses, libraries and cemeteries, consulting translators, historians or her vast network of fellow genealogists, pioneering the use of genealogical DNA testing, solving the mystery or occasionally hitting a brick wall, Smolenyak remains wholly committed, curious and cheery, eager to share her methods and excitement. Bottom-up history from a top-shelf researcher."
Part 1 in series:
Michelle Obama's Ancestors: Chicago Beginnings
"Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing" Available Today!
Part 2 in series:
Michelle Obama's Ancestors: The Great Migration
Sopranos star visits Cornwall to trace family roots
Keyboard pants - you know you want 'em
Keyboard Pants - ReflectionOf.Me
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, January 26
Martin Sheen first up on #WDYTYA - Ireland & Spain.
Listings - WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com
There's no place like home... for 100 years: Centenarian lives in the house where she was born
Men of the USS Monitor: Daniel Moore, African American Sailor and Hero
Any Civil War buffs out there?
USS Monitor - Videos, Articles and Resources
Preview the Stories from Season 3!
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, January 19
Wowsa! Check out all the new content from FamilySearch!
Records Update 6 Jan 2011
Thought I'd share this again in celebration of Betty White's 90th birthday! (a look at her roots - Danish, Greek and more).
Betty White: White-Hot in Cleveland or Not
Do you have Irish roots in Allegany County or Hampshire County, Maryland? If so, you might be able to get free DNA testing.
Harvard professor, Piedmont native hoping to solve family mystery » Local News » Cumberland Tim
Pretty please! Oh, pretty please! VA bill aims to make death, marriage records public sooner
Va. bill aims to make death, marriage records public sooner | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, January 12
Please join me for Reverse #Genealogy webinar re: finding the living!
Martin Sheen, Marisa Tomei, Blair Underwood, Reba McEntire, Rob Lowe, Helen Hunt, Rita Wilson, Edie Falco, Rashida Jones, Jerome Bettis, Jason Sudeikis, Paula Deen on Who Do You Think You Are?
'Who Do You Think You Are?' Season 3 Cast
Was amused to see that this article mentions my research on Top Chef where I happened to discover that two of the contestants were related to each other!
NBC's Who Do You Think You Are Procures A Season 3 Lineup
Oh, to have been there when they booked the man with a scat name.
Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, 30, Arrested By Madison, Wisc. Police
Four Months of Celebrity Roots on Air in 2012
Genealogy enthusiasts are spending $1,000-18,000/year to discover roots per industry report!
Online Researchers Spur Growth of Genealogy Industry, According to a New Report by Global Industry
A Peek into Blue Ivy Carter's Past
Back to top^
Sneak peek at upcoming "Finding Your Roots" series on PBS (video)
Curious about what you can expect in the celebrity-packed season of Finding Your Roots on PBS? Well, this video will give you a taste. Each episode will feature two celebrities. The season will launch on 3/25 (with two episodes currently scheduled for the first evening) and will continue through 5/20. That’s a lot of celebrity roots!
Back to top^
If you plan to be near any of the
events where I'll be speaking, I would love to meet you. It's always a
kick for me when folks mention that they read this newsletter, my blog, Huffington Post or whatever, so don't be shy about introducing yourself!
For more information on these events, please see my Events Calendar. And if you're interested in scheduling me, just click here.
- February 15, 2012 - Bethesda, MD - Barnes & Noble - "Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing" Book Signing
- February 16, 2012 - McLean, VA - Barnes & Noble - "Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing" Book Signing
- March 10, 2012 - Tucson, AZ - Tucson Festival of Books - "Hey, America, Your Roots are Showing
- March 15, 2012 - New York, NY - The Frank DeCaro Show, Sirius XM Radio
- March 15, 2012 - New York, NY - The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society - "Hey, America, Your Roots are Showing"
- March 20, 2012 - Trenton, NJ - New Jersey State Library - "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- April 18-20, 2012 - Houston, TX - Texas Library Association - "Next Generation Genealogy"
- April 24, 2012 - Princeton, NJ - NovoNordisk - "Who Do You Think You Are?"
- April 25, 2012 - Legacy Family Tree - "Reverse Genealogy: Finding the Living" Webinar
- May 19, 2012 - Valley View, OH - East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society - "Trace Your Roots with DNA," "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Find The Obituary! Online Newspaper Research" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- June 5, 2012 - Short Hills, NJ - Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society - "Trace Your Roots with DNA"
- June 8-10, 2012 - Burbank, CA - 2012 Southern California Genealogy Jamboree - Family History Writers Conference Session, "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Giving Back: A Look at 10+ Years of Genealogy Grants" and "Find That Obituary! Online Newspaper Research"
- June 26, 2012 - Basking Ridge, NJ (delivered live via Skype) - Bernards Township Library - "Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing"
- July 20-21, 2012 - Indianapolis, IN - Indiana Historical Society Midwestern Roots Conference - "Adventures Behind the Scenes" Panel, "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI," "Hey, America, Your Roots are Showing" and "Trace Your Roots with DNA
- September 29, 2012 - Manassas, VA - Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center (RELIC) for Genealogy and Local History - "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
Back to top^